Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > Motoring Files: Tales from the open road.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seattle to San Francisco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seattle to San Francisco
    Posted: December/19/12 at 2:07pm
Going to drive to San Francisco tomorrow in my Clubman.  It will be a long drive. The cruise control will be in heavy use.

Now, before I start... the car is a year old and for the last week the engine light has been coming on.  I was going to take it into the shop, but the one time I made an appointment, of course the light wouldn't come back on.  So, I canceled the appointment.

My guess is that it's a sensor problem.  The car doesn't give me any other indicator being more specific.  I've checked all the fluids, and everything seems fine.  Though, I checked the oil when it was warm - if that matters on a Mini.

When I first start the car in the morning - the light is not on.  It's only after I drive it, turn it of, and back on again, that the light comes on (but, not always).

Should I ignore it, and go anyway?  I'm thinking that I'll go to a shop in San Francisco if it continues or gets worse.
Beastie - Jan 2012 JCW Clubman (auto), Eclipse Grey, Black Trim & stripes, tinted windows, technology & Cold Weather pkg.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 2:13pm
you should hook it up to a OBD2 code reader. Costs about $100 at most garages, or free if you hook up with one of the folks here in PSMINI. It will at least tell you what is turning on the light.

I have one if you want to come by Federal Way.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 2:24pm
I think O'Reilly or Autozone has code readers you can use for free, too. It'll give you a code #, then you can google it to find out what it means.
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 2:50pm
MINIs hold a fairly extensive list of codes in the computer (a check of Alsatia today found a fault from June that never tripped the CEL) even after the light goes out. Even if the light goes out the dealership's service department can look at the history. A standard OBDII scanner cannot read the history so the light must be on for the scanner to see anything. Even then some codes are hidden from standard readers.

Is it yellow or red? If it's yellow you may be fine. If it's red I'd figure out exactly what the code is before going on a long trip. Sometimes you can get a code from the display by going into the "info" area.

Also, tighten your gas cap. The CEL will come on if your gas cap is loose.

Marc View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 2:59pm
Yeah, for the last 1/2 hour I've been trying to get NCS-Expert to work.  It sees that the engine is on, and I can get some data, but I don't know if it's data from the software configuration or from the car.

Beastie - Jan 2012 JCW Clubman (auto), Eclipse Grey, Black Trim & stripes, tinted windows, technology & Cold Weather pkg.
Marc View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 3:05pm
The light is yellow (I'm sitting in my car now).  There is nothing in the settings or "Vehicle Info" to say what the issue is.  I'll try the software for a fe minutes more, but it's really a pain trying to guess what all the German means.  :)
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 3:29pm
Try this - Remove the gas cap.  Reinstall it making sure it is properly seated and tighten 3 clicks if is one of the older ones or just tight if it is the new type. 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Marc View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 3:48pm
Well, I don't know if it has anything to do with anything, but the light isn't coming on now.

• In the car with the computer - idling, light on.
  • Upon first mention of the gas cap, I turned it off, got out, and tightened the cap.
  • Turned the car on.  Yellow engine light, still on.
  • Continued to mess with the software with little luck.
  • During this, I turned off the car, and back on.  Light was off
  • At this point I gave up.
  • Upon the last suggestion, I went back to the car, started it. - light was off.
  • Turned the car off.
  • I loosened the gas cap completely.  Light was still off... though, there was still a seal on the cap.
  • Tured the car off, and put the cap back on.
  • Turned the car on.  The light is still off.
So, I don't know.  I don't want to guess, but I need to leave... so, I think I'll just go.

I really wish I could figure out how to use the NCS Expert software (I have the cable too, if you were wondering).  I think that it should tell me the answers.  I was avoiding using it originally because I know what a pain it is to get working.  I tried a few months ago... and gave up then too.  Really makes me want to write my own.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 4:02pm
After reseating the gas cap it takes a couple starts to get the CEL light to go out.  Have a great trip to SF!
Jack -

Marc View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 5:34pm
Thanks for the help.  I'll follow up when I learn more.

Also, I'm planning on making a video of the trip on the way back (1 frame every 4.8 seconds = 12 hour trip compressed into 5 minutes).  I'd film it on the way down, but I'm in a bit of a rush, and don't have time to mess with the camera.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 5:46pm

One other note about the gas cap issue - it usually happens after filling up with gas - but the light doesn't come on until the tank is down to a little more the 1/2 full - at least that was my experience on a trip to Idaho... 

Jack -

Marc View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/12 at 6:02pm
That corresponds with what I've seen so far.  Just went to go move the car, and the light wasn't on... so... we'll see. Clap
Marc View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/13 at 11:36pm
Turns out:  It had nothing to do with the gas cap.  There is a recall on a temperature sensor.  This is what was failing.  I just had it replaced Thursday.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/13 at 6:01am
Do you know how old the recall was?  I have noticed that MINI does not let you know about recalls until you bring the vehicle into a dealership and they say something like, "Oh, by the way, there was a recall on that part".  Crappy way of doing business.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/13 at 7:34am
You can/should go to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administrations site and check on your vehicle(s) at:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

And register on Safecar.Gov to receive any recalls via email at:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/subscriptions/index.cfm
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/13 at 7:53am
Good idea, thanks for the Links!  You would think that MINI would tell you for that $35K you pay for the car.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
 Post Reply Post Reply