Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tax Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanybb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tax Question
    Posted: August/07/09 at 11:40am
I am buying a house, and had to cash out my 401k to do so.  I followed the advise of the T.Rowe Price rep to roll it into an IRA to save $1k.  My question is this, when I cash out the IRA, I am told I need to elect my tax with-holding amount in a percentage.  Or elect to not with-hold taxes.  I have no idea how much I should with hold or not.  Does anyone have an answer for me?  The TRowePrice people cannot give me any idea whatsoever.  I am already stressed out by this whole thing, and now this!  I would appreciate any help with this.  Thank you in advance. 
Anna
BeanyBaby
A 2005 BlackEye Purple Cabrio
The better half of a two MINI family!
Anna
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RevKibosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/09 at 12:37pm
Generally 30% is a good rule of thumb, but I'm not sure on the rules for cashing out to buy a house.  There may be some tax exemptions for that but you'd have to talk to an accountant.

In either case, you should be able to fill out a tax withholding form (W-4P) and make elections similar to your W-4 for regular income.  You can use the instructions and worksheet on the W-4P to determine how many exemptions and such you should be electing.  If in doubt, elect fewer exemptions.  If you withhold too much in tax you'll get it back next April.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4p.pdf

Note: I am not a tax professional and the above should not be construed as professional tax advice.  Please consult a CPA for professional advice.
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/09 at 3:22pm
Anna is this your first house? this doesn't relate to you tax question but s first time buyer question?

In regards to your question you might contact Hipcheck aka Mitch

Edited by johnf36 - August/09/09 at 3:23pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

beanybb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanybb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/09 at 2:23pm
Thank you to you both for your responses. I ended up taking out 25%, and yes, I qualify for the first time home buyers credit. I have been told to put that into a CD and when tax time comes if I need it to pay additional taxes, I will have it. I do get some kind of exemption from some sort of penalty (really makes a lot of sense obviously!) for using it to buy a home, but I am not holding my breath, and already the mortgage guy wasn't real pleased with what I am getting out of it. Oh well! So hopefully we will close on or about September 1, and all will be well.

Thanks again for your help, and I will keep this all in a folder to remember at tax time as well!
BeanyBaby
Anna
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/09 at 11:24pm
Sounds like things are working out for you Anna.  That's great to hear.  Room for the horses at the new house?
beanybb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanybb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/09 at 2:02pm
Hi Kristen, thank you, yes it is going to be better in the long run. But the house is on a lot in town (Kittitas), and I am still seeking a place for the horses. I am thinking I may have to go door knocking to find one! I also need a place for the chickens, we are down (!) to 12 hens and a rooster. The rooster is a gentleman, was hatched here. Don't really want to break them all up, so trying to find a place here.  This whole thing has been just so very stressful.  I can't wait for it to be all over! I want to thank you again for your kindness in offering your place for the horses, but you are right, it is just too far away, and Rose is on a special diet, so I need to make sure she is okay. I will keep you all posted as to how this whole thing ends.
BeanyBaby
Anna
 Post Reply Post Reply