Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to get an ECU tune

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to get an ECU tune
    Posted: August/28/11 at 6:31pm
So i am looking at getting an ecu tune in the few months to cover the 15% pulley, CAI and hopefully a uni-ball mod soon.  Just wondering if anybody had any suggestion as to where to go for this in the Tacoma/ Seattle area.  Your thoughts and comments are appreciated! 
Happy motoring!
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/11 at 7:43pm
Hi. We are working on getting Jan from Revolution MINI Works up to the Seattle area for ECU tunes. 

I'll be suggesting a few dates in the next few days. We need to find a date that has the most people able to attend the tune and then request Jan to come up at that time. 
Thanks, 

R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/11 at 11:17am
Thanks Corners.  I am just looking at my options right now, and that definately sounds like a good option.  Anybody know of any local place that can tune a mini?  And if so at what cost?
bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/11 at 1:57pm
Ive never heard of anyone doing on site tunes or can get into an ECU of a MINI (besides Jan)  thats why so many companies sell pre-made programs. and there are a few of those but nothing Im aware of in seattle.

I have a good friend who worked for Unichip for years and he recomends you stay away from their product.  there is alot of info on them to be read online.
With that said, he recomends this. (GIAC makes great product)

Never heard anything on this one but it looks interesting. Not cheap but probably worth it if you can work it.

Ive been happy with this
not cheap either but its is customized to your car and Ive never paid for an upgrade when I have needed one. George says he has never charged anyone for one either plus he keeps your old programs on file should you ever want to switch it.

Ive also heard The Shark Injector works pretty well

truth is they will all provide some performance increase and its going to vary with every car.
A dyno is the only way to tell. even a custom tune cant guarantee any numbers, you can only work with what you got and each and every mini will report different dyno numbers even with the same enhancements.
Sounds like you have made a couple good improvements to your car. make sure you use GOOD FUEL every time (a MINI requires 91 octane fuel)and that will be the most cost effective method for a perfomance gain. not to mention less trips to the repair shop.
For reference  lets say Chevron Supreme runs 15 cents a gallon more than Super @ Joes Cheap Gas Station. thats 15 cents times 13 gallons equaling $1.95 each fill up. (will your bank account suffer the difference between a $50 fill up and a $52 dollar fill up?) ok so lets say you fill your tank once a week. thats 52 x $1.95 = $101.40 a year. So thats less than one hour of diagnostic time at the dealer so they can tell you that you are running bad gas in your car.  not to mention the time and hassle of taking your car in and possibly not having it for an entire day.  Also bad gas can lead to actual problems with your car requiring actual repairs , Valves, Pistons, Rings, etc. or even parts like spark plugs ($45 each from dealer) failing sooner.
Good Gas = Good Times driving your mini and enjoying it.

Thats my friendly tip for the day :)

BD

Edited by bobbyd - August/29/11 at 2:09pm
R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/11 at 2:04pm
Thanks bobby for the breakdown! I always use 91 octane and usually shell as much as I can. I will try to research those products as much as I can, and see which direction I want to go. The Jan tune seems to be a really good option.
Twiggles85 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/11 at 10:18am
I thought that Actuning in Redmond will do mini tunes... (not positive)

My friend had his A4 done there and I think it ran about $500 bucks but he was very pleased.
"It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye... then its a sport."
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/11 at 2:10am
Both Jan and Mike offer remote tunes that are reliable and give what they claim. There are also 3 European tuners that I could suggest but because of the exchange rate never mind. There are very few people in the US that can work with the Minis coding. I will bring it up again there are really only 2 stables in the US RMW and Mynes. If you want more info let me know.

Other then that GIAC like Bobby already mentioned and Dinan are youe safe bet.
John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Post Reply Post Reply