Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Warranty Issues and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter mirrors
    Posted: October/22/12 at 11:36pm
This is not a question... just thought I'd share.

Two months ago I brought my Clubman into Seattle Mini for a JCW perf kit upgrade.  As long as I was there I thought I'd have them fix one or two other things I noticed since buying my car in January.

One of the things I noticed was that when I folded the mirrors, they wouldn't be aligned the same as when I extended them.  I mean, I loved the folding-mirror feature.  I think it's awesome.  Park a little close to a car that thinks they're being smart by taking two lanes - screw them... I'll park smack dab right where they didn't want any car, and fold up my mirror because I can!

Folding mirrors rock!

Well, they would... if they would un-fold back out to where I left them.

So, anyway, I took my car to the shop and they couldn't reproduce the problem.  The service-center guy was nice enough, and told me that I should video the problem and show them what happens.

That sounded ridiculous.  Yes, I thought about it, but how am I supposed to video the starting and ending position of the mirrors?  How is that going to help a mechanic figure out what is going on?

So I gave up.  I decided to stop folding my mirrors, and not park next to jerks that think two parking spots is proper.

Then a few weeks ago I thought, "Hey... I really like this folding mirror thing.  I think that people who drive cars that are too wide for one spot deserve to have me park 5" away from them."  Damn it!  I'm going to fold my mirrors and stand my ground!  It's my duty as an American (driving a small british/German car).

I quickly found that I wasn't loosing my mind, and that the problem was real:  Every time I'd drive away - my mirrors would not be adjusted as they were when I parked!

So, two weeks ago I figured it out: 

1)  I folded my mirrors in
2) I extended them into the original position.

They were adjusted properly!

4) I folded them in again.
5) Opened and closed the door twice (to simulate exiting and entering the car)
6) I extended them to the original position.

The mirrors were no longer adjusted!!!!!  "Ah ha!" I said to myself.  Slamming the doors while they were folded is the problem!!!!

Okay, I haven't fixed the problem, but I'm not loosing my mind, and the folding mirrors are still cool.

So, screw all you people who take two parking spots - I'm squeezing in with my folding mirrors!!!!!!  

... that is, right after I get them fixed.  Sleepy 

Edited by Marc - October/22/12 at 11:46pm
Beastie - Jan 2012 JCW Clubman (auto), Eclipse Grey, Black Trim & stripes, tinted windows, technology & Cold Weather pkg.
 Post Reply Post Reply